Sweden – Researcher

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Sweden? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

Visiting researchers

As a visiting researcher, you must hold a university or college degree which qualifies you to access postgraduate studies.

You will need a residence permit and may only work with the research body that is employing you.

You will not need a work permit.


Where and how to apply

Applications for a residence permit can be filed at the embassy or consulate of your country of origin or residence or electronically on the Migration Agency’s website.

The research body must be approved by the Swedish Higher Education Authority.

Documents required
  • You must conclude a hosting agreement with an approved research body. A hosting agreement shows that you have undertaken to conduct a research work and that the research body will host you. The agreement must state the purpose, duration, funding of the research project and your qualifications.
  • You must show a comprehensive health insurance if you intend to stay for less than one year in Sweden.
  • You must show sufficient funds for maintenance during the stay in Sweden and for the return journey.
Duration of validity of permitsYour permit for research purposes is granted for at least one year at the time, renewable, or for the period covered by the hosting agreement.
AppealsIn the event of a refusal, you may challenge the decision within three weeks of the date of notification. The appeal is sent to the Migration Agency. If the Agency maintains its decision, you may challenge it in front of the Migration Court. Which court hears your appeal will depend on which permit unit rejected your application.
Family reunification

Your spouse or partner and unmarried children under 18 years can be granted a residence permit for the same period as you.

They may also be granted work permits if you have been granted a permit of at least six months.


If you are not admitted to studies in Sweden but have been invited to study or do research in Sweden as part of a study programme in another country, you must apply for a visitor’s permit. This applies if you intend to be in Sweden for more than 90 days in a 180-day period. A visitor’s permit is usually valid for no more than six months, or up to one year.