Spain – Volunteer

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to be a volunteer in Spain? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

Do you want to carry out voluntary work within the context of the European Solidarity Corps in Spain? Or outside this context? In any case, you must have concluded an agreement with the exchange organisation.

The agreement must include the following:

  • a description of the volunteer programme;
  • the duration and conditions of the voluntary work;
  • the requirements to qualify for the voluntary work and how it is being supervised;
  • information on the available financial means to pay for your stay, accommodation.

Where and how to apply

You must apply for the required visa personally at the embassy or consulate of Spain competent in the area where you reside.

The applicable fee is 60 euros, to be paid along with the visa application.

The indicative processing time is one month from the day after the submission of the application.

Once the visa is granted, the applicant has two months to collect the visa where he/she applied for it, from the formal notification.

Documents required

  • The official application form;
  • a valid passport;
  • proof of having enough economic means for his/her stay and return to the country of origin;
  • health insurance;
  • studies agreement with a public or private entity;
  • a copy of the agreement with the organisation;
  • if minor, authorisation of the parents;
  • if the stay is for over 6 months:
    • a medical certificate;
    • criminal records.

All these documents must be translated into Spanish, and public documents properly legalised by the Spanish Consulate in the country of origin.

Further requirements

Once you arrive in Spain and if you are going to reside for over 6 months, you must get an Aliens Identification card (known as TIE) at the Police Department where you intend to reside.

Duration of validity of permits/visas

From 90 days to one year.

Yearly renewal authorised.

Conditions for renewal

The trainee must show that he/she is still fulfilling the conditions originally presented. He/she also must prove that he/she is following the trainee programme successfully. The renewal application must be presented using the official application form within 60 days before the expiration of the original permit. It must be presented at the Delegación or Subdelegación del Gobierno of the province where he/she lives in Spain.


If you or your employer do not meet the conditions, you will not get the residence permit. This decision is given in a written formal decision sent online. You can apply for a review of this decision.Do you disagree? You may appeal to the court.

Change of status

It is possible for a trainee to apply for these other statuses:

  • to residence and work as an employee;
  • to residence and self-employment;
  • to residence with exception to work;
  • to residence and research;
  • to residence and work as a highly-qualified professional.

All information can be found hereSearch for available translations of the preceding link (in Spanish).

Family members

It is possible for the trainee to be accompanied by his/her family members: his/her spouse, legal partner, children younger than 18 or with some disability.

The relative must apply personally for the visa, at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate, at the same moment as the main applicant or at any moment during the period of validity of the main applicant permit. The main applicant must show that he/she has enough economic means to maintain the family, and prove the family link to the relative who applied for the permit. The duration of the permit will be the same as that of the main applicant. If they stay for a period over 6 months, they have to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card.

Long-term residence

The stay as a trainee is counted in the period of residence to be eligible for long-term/permanent residence in Spain.

No information available