Spain – Student

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to study in Spain? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To study in Spain you must:

  • be admitted to an officially recognised public or private higher education institution;
  • be registered as a student in a higher education institution in Spain;
  • obtain a student visa and a stay permit for the purpose of studies. If you are already in Spain (in a regular situation), you can apply for the residence permit without obtaining a previous student visa.

Where to apply

You must obtain a student visa at the Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

If you are already in Spain in a regular situation, you must apply to the Provincial Aliens Affairs Office.

Documents to submit

You must prove:

  • admission to an officially recognised, public or private educational institution;
  • health insurance;
  • a health certificate;
  • sufficient financial resources to cover your living expenses, the costs of your studies and your return;
  • parental consent if you are a minor.

Duration of validity of permits

The duration of the stay permit for the purpose of studies is equal to the length of the course for which you have been admitted and is renewable.

This permit shall be extended annually if you show that you continue to meet the original conditions required for the first permit and that you meet the requirements for the activity.


Decisions can be challenged by way of an administrative appeal.

Further information

More on studying in Spain

Employment during studies

You are allowed to work during your studies if your employer presents a request for a work permit and all the relevant requirements are fulfilled.

The activities have to be compatible with your studies and the salary must not be a necessary resource for your subsistence or living although it would be taken into account.

Employment after studies

If the conditions are met, you can work in Spain after completion of your studies.

You must have a job offer and your employer must file the application for a work permit. You have to show that you have been in Spain for three years under a student permit. A minimum period of residence in Spain should not be required if you find a job as a highly-qualified professional or if you are going to start up a business.

Besides, after the completion of your studies you can apply for a job searching residence permit valid for a 12-month period.

Family reunification

As a student, you are entitled to be joined by your spouse and children under 18 years old or in your custody for the duration of your studies.

More on reuniting with your family in Spain


If you have a permit/visa for studies in an EU country and are covered by an EU or multilateral programme or an agreement between universities, you may carry out part of your studies and work (in addition to your studies) in Spain if you fulfil certain requirements. You may reside and study in Spain for up to 360 days. If you are not covered by a programme or agreement, you can apply for a new permit/visa in Spain hereSearch for available translations of the preceding link.


Spain applies the notification procedure: the notification must be done by

the higher education institution established in Spain

to the Provincial Alien Affairs Offices. The notification should be done before the entry of the student in Spain, although it is possible to do it after the entry within a period of one month.

Documents required

  • A valid travel document;
  • the authorisation issued by the first EU country;
  • evidence that the student carries out part of the studies in Spain in the framework of a Union or multilateral programme that comprises mobility measures or of an agreement between two or more higher education institutions and evidence that the student has been accepted by a higher education institution in Spain.