Sweden – International service provider

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to come to the EU for short-term business visits or to provide services in the framework of an EU Trade Agreement with a partner country? You can find information below on the conditions, procedures, and your rights.

In Sweden, the requirements for all the following categories are the same:

  1. Business visitors for establishment purposes (BVEPs);
  2. Short-term business visitors (STBV);
  3. Contractual service suppliers (CSSs);
  4. Independent professionals (IPs) and
  5. Investors.

They are all treated as “business or conference visits, seminars or similar arrangements”.

Categories of visa, permits or any similar type of authorisation regarding entry and temporary stay;

For visits shorter than 90 days the following rules apply:

  • If you are visiting Sweden on a business or conference trip and are a citizen of a non-EU country, you may need a visa. A visa is a permit to travel to and stay in a country for a limited period.
  • To be granted a visa, you need an invitation from the company or person who is arranging the conference. You must show that you have enough money for your keep and for your home trip. You also need health insurance that covers the costs if you become ill during your visit to Sweden.

Documentation required and conditions to be met

If you wish to visit Sweden and the other Schengen countries, you must have:

  • a passport that is valid for a minimum of three months after your visa has expired and which has been issued in the last ten-year period;
  • an invitation from the company or the organisation arranging the conference;
  • money for your stay and for the journey home. Sweden requires that you have SEK 450 for each day spent in Sweden. In certain circumstances, this amount may be lower, for example in the case of a young child, if the cost of food and accommodation is paid in advance or if you are going to stay with relatives or friends. You must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds for your keep with the help, for example, of bank statements or a document in which the person inviting you to Sweden promises to meet all expenses during the visit;
  • individual medical travel insurance which covers the costs which could arise as a result of emergency medical assistance, emergency hospitalisation or medical repatriation. The insurance should cover costs of at least EUR 30,000 and be valid in all the Schengen country.

To enable the authorities to process your application, you must clearly state:

  • why you are visiting Sweden;
  • how long you intend to stay in Sweden;
  • how you will support yourself during your time in Sweden;
  • the type of passport you hold and for how long it is valid;
  • where you intend to travel following your visit to Sweden;
  • if you have a permit to enter the country you intend to travel to after your stay in Sweden.

With your application, you must enclose:

  • two passport photographs in which you are looking straight ahead and which are not more than six months old;
  • an invitation – a letter – from the company or the organisation arranging the conference;
  • other documents which the embassy may require.

The invitation must contain information about you, for example:

  • your personal data;
  • the reason for your visit to Sweden;
  • how long you intend to be in Sweden;
  • who will be responsible for supporting you financially during the time you are in Sweden.

Requirements of Swedish embassies and consulates

  • Some requirements differ from country to country. It is therefore important that you check what applies in your case. The requirements may change depending on the current circumstances. You will find more information on the website of the relevant embassy.

Where and how to file an application

  • You should hand in your visa application to a Swedish embassy or consulate-general. In certain countries, Sweden is represented by another Schengen country.
  • There are also countries where Sweden does not have its own mission and is not represented by another country. If this is the case, anyone wishing to hand in a visa application must travel to the nearest country where there is a Swedish embassy or consulate-general.
  • If you intend to hand in your visa application at another Schengen country’s mission abroad, you should contact the mission in advance. In such cases, it is this country’s documentary requirements which will apply. The documents should also be translated into the language of that country.

The maximum period of stay under each type of authorisation

  • A visitor’s visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days. If you have already stayed in a Schengen country for 90 days during the last 180-day period, you cannot extend your visa. Instead you can apply for a visitor’s residence permit.

For more information, please see here.

To be eligible for a visitor’s permit, you must

  • be able to support yourself during the time you will be in Sweden;
  • have a valid passport (the passport must be valid for at least three months after the end date of the visit);
  • have a return ticket or money to buy a ticket.

You are not registered as a resident

You are not registered as a resident in Sweden and are not entitled to social welfare benefits. It is therefore important that you have individual medical travel insurance that covers the costs that may arise in connection with emergency medical assistance, urgent hospital care or transport to your home country for medical reasons. The insurance should cover costs of at least EUR 30,000 and be valid in all Schengen countries.

In the application, you must append the following:

  • a copy of your home country passport that shows personal information and all pages in the passport that show entry and exit stamps and visas (read more about making correct passport copies);
  • a copy of a valid residence permit in another Schengen country if you already have one;
  • an authorisation if somebody else represents you and fills in the application for you (Power of attorney, form 107011):
  • certificate from company/organisation about the purpose of the visit and how long it is expected to last.

The application procedure: if you are outside Sweden, you must submit your application at a Swedish embassy or general consulate.

If you apply at the Swedish embassy in Bangkok, ThailandSearch for available translations of the preceding link, you can use the e-service.

If you want to visit Sweden for less than 90 days, you should not apply for a visitor’s permit, but you may need to apply for a visa – please see the information above.

Fill in application forms and appendices:

In the application, you enter information about yourself and the person or organisation that you will visit. You must fill out one application per person.

What you must append to the application

You need to append several documents to your application. What you must append depends on the reason for your visit. See the heading Conditions for your visit and what you must append to your application.

Submit your application

You must submit your application at a Swedish embassy or general consulate.

Most people must pay a fee in connection with the application being submitted.

Fees for visas and visitor’s permits

Swedish embassies and general consulates


You will need to attend an interview in connection with turning in your application. Contact the embassy or general consulate for more information as to whether you need to book an appointment for the interview. During the interview, you will answer questions about your visit to Sweden. Children for whom applications are submitted must also attend.

Please see under ‘Conditions’ for all information on International Service Providers.

Please see under ‘Conditions’ for all information on International Service Providers.

No information available at the moment.