Romania – Trainee

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out a traineeship in Romania? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

You can apply to carry out a traineeship in Romania if you have a higher education degree or if you are pursuing a higher education degree in a non-EU country. You must be admitted for a training programme in order to acquire knowledge, practices and experience in a professional environment. 

If you fulfil the conditions, you will be issued a long-stay visa.


Where and how to apply

It is necessary to obtain a long-stay visa in this regard, from the consular offices or diplomatic missions of Romania.

Documents required

The following documents must be submitted:

  • the professional training agreement;
  • the written commitment of the host entity regarding that, in case a trainee stays illegally on the Romanian territory, the respective entity is responsible for the reimbursement of the expenses incurred from public funds for staying and removal of the trainee;
  • proof of having a higher education graduation diploma in the last two years preceding the date of application or proof of participation in a study course leading to such a diploma;
  • proof of subsistence means in the amount of at least the level of the minimum gross basic salary per country for the entire period foreseen in the visa;
  • proof of ensuring the accommodation conditions.

The visa is valid for a stay of 90 days in a period of 180 days.

Duration of validity of permits/visas

The right of residence may be extended, under the same conditions as for visas, for a period of up to one year.


The refusal to extend the residence right is communicated by the return decision.

This can be appealed within 10 days from the communication date to the court of appeal in whose territorial jurisdiction is the GII unit that issued the return decision. The court solves the appeal within 30 days from the receipt date. The court’s decision is final.

Change of status

In the event that he/she finds a job, the third-country national citizen may stay on the Romanian territory and can change the purpose of his/her stay (employment) without the obligation to leave Romania and obtain a new visa.

Family members

The third-country national citizen whose residence permit is valid for one year can request the family reunification for:

  • his/her husband/wife;
  • the unmarried minor son/s and/or daughter/s of the sponsor and of the spouse, including those adopted;
  • the unmarried minor children of the sponsor, including the adopted ones, who are dependent on him/her and over whom the sponsor exercises the parental rights. If the parental rights are exercised jointly, the consent of the other parent is also required;
  • the unmarried minor children of the spouse, including the adopted ones who are dependent on him/her and over whom the spouse exercises parental rights. If the parental rights are exercised jointly, the consent of the other parent is also required;
  • relatives ascending the sponsor or the spouse, if they cannot support themselves and do not enjoy adequate family support in the origin country;
  • the unmarried adult children of the sponsor or of the spouse, in case they cannot support themselves for medical reasons.

For submitting the application for family reunification, the sponsor has to present the following documents:

  • a marriage/birth certificate or, as the case may be, proof of kinship, issued by the competent authorities, translated and legalised in accordance with the law;
  • an authentic statement attesting that the family members will live with the sponsor;
  • a copy of the document certifying your residence right on the Romanian territory;
  • proof of legal possession of a living space;
  • proof of subsistence means;
  • proof of insurance;
  • the written statement of consent of the other parent who holds together with the sponsor the joint custody of the minor child for whom the family reunification is requested;
  • a copy of the travel document of the family member.

The application will be solved within a maximum of 3 months from the date of submission.

Approval of the application shall be communicated in writing to the applicant for transmitting it to interested family members, who shall submit it to the diplomatic mission or consular post within 60 days of its issuance date, together with the application for a long-stay visa for family reunification.

Long-term residence

When granting the long-term residence, half of the stay as a trainee is counted in the period of residence to be eligible for long-term/permanent residence in the Romania.

No information available