Netherlands – Intra-corporate transferee (ICT)

You work for a company established outside the European Union (EU) and you are going to be transferred to a branch in the Netherlands? You can find information below on the conditions, procedures, rights and mobility you can enjoy during your stay.

Within the framework of intra EU-mobility, subject to certain conditions, you can also be transferred to a branch of this company within another EU Member State, which has implemented the Directive (Denmark, the United Kingdom and Ireland do not participate).

Your employer applies for a Single Permit. This is a permit that entitles the foreign national to stay and work in the Netherlands. The Single Permit combines the residence permit and the TWV. You only have to apply for one permit, to one authority: the IND. The IND asks advice from the Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency (UWV) about the labour market aspect. UWV assesses the request for advice based on the criteria according the Directive. The IND takes a decision on the basis of the advice of UWV. If the decision is positive and the Single Permit is issued, the IND will inform you accordingly.

Your employer can choose to become a recognised sponsorSearch for available translations of the preceding link. This is not obligatory. Recognition as sponsor has a number of advantages.

Other conditionsSearch for available translations of the preceding link apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEASearch for available translations of the preceding link country or Switzerland and their family members.

Conditions to migrate to the Netherlands within the framework of intra Corporate Transferees

Where and how to apply

To travel to the Netherlands, you need a provisional residence permit (mvv). The mvv is a sticker that the Dutch representation places in the passport. In some cases, you do not need an mvvSearch for available translations of the preceding link.

Your employer applies for the mvv and the Single Permit at the same time. Your employer uses the application form. The form is at the bottom of this page. Your employer sends the application form together with the required documents to the IND. After the application has been received, the IND sends a letter stating how the fees are to be paid.

This application costs € 285 (in 2019).

Documents required

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translatedSearch for available translations of the preceding link into Dutch, English, French or German.

Validity period and renewal

The maximum validity of a Single Permit is 3 years for managers and specialists.

The maximum validity of a Single Permit is 1 year for trainee-employees.

The maximum validity includes the transfers between EU member states.

Further requirements

Upon arrival, you must:


If the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) has rejected your application, this will be specified in an official letter (= Decision) from the IND. If you do not agree with the decision, you can register an objection to it, or authorise someone in the Netherlands to do so on your behalf. The official letter explains how to start the procedure for this.

In some cases, the IND is not able to reach a decision in time. The IND may be in default. You can then send a written notice of default to the IND.

If after having registered an objection, the IND has stated your objections to be unfounded, it is possible for you to appealSearch for available translations of the preceding link against this decision to the Dutch court.

Further information

More on the application for the purpose ‘Intra Corporate Transferees’ (Directive 2014/66/EU)

Extension of stay

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extensionSearch for available translations of the preceding link. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changedSearch for available translations of the preceding link sooner.


The permit states ‘arbeid wegens overplaatsing binnen een onderneming en arbeid als zelfstandige toegestaan, andere arbeid toegestaan met TWV’ (work as Intra Corporate Transferee and work as a self-employed permitted, other work permitted with TWV).

This means that you can work at a branch of the company in the Netherlands. If you want to do other work in the Netherlands, your employer must first obtain a work permit (TWV). And you may work as a self-employed as long as you still meet the conditions for the Intra Corporate Transferee permit.

Are you already in possession of a Single Permit for ‘transfer within a company’ (Directive on Intra Corporate Transferees 2014/66/EU) but does your document have a different employment status? You do not have to exchange your document. The above employment status also applies to you.

Permanent residence

It is not possible to qualify for permanent residence on the basis of a residence permit for Intra Corporate Transferees.

Family reunification

Family members may apply for a residence permit in order to stay with the employee for the duration of the transfer. During their stay, they will be free to work on the Dutch labour market.

EU mobility

With this residence permit you may apply for intra EU mobility. This allows you to be transfered to a branch of the international concern located in another participating EU member state. This is possible for short term and long term.

Short term mobility: Short term mobility is possible for a stay of a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. For short term mobility in the Netherlands the employer will have to notify UWV of the short stay. After the notification at UWV you may directly start work.

Long term mobility: Long term mobility is possible for a stay of more than 90 days within a period of 180 days. You will need to have a residence permit for the Netherlands. You do not need to apply for an mvv. After submitting the application you may directly start work. A few conditions will not be checked again:

  • required duration of the employment (at least 3 months);
  • required qualifications and experience;
  • requirement of a trainee agreement (if you are a trainee-employee).