Italy – Family member

Are you a non-EU citizen living in Italy and would you like to bring your non-EU family members to live with you there? You can find information below on the conditions, procedures and rights your family members can enjoy during their stay.

You may apply for family reunification provided you meet the following requirements (exceptions may apply for certain residence permits):

  • You hold a long-term residence permit or residence permit no shorter than a year for employed or self-employed activity, international, subsidiary or humanitarian protection, studies, religious purposes, family purposes, or scientific research purposes.
  • You have an adequate yearly gross income to provide for the reunited family members (more details available on the Prefectures’ website) and adequate accommodation.

Your family members include:

  • your legitimate adult spouse;
  • your unmarried minor children and those of your spouse, provided you have the necessary consents;
  • dependent adult children with serious health difficulties;
  • dependent parents who do not have other children in their country of origin or parents who are over 65 if their other children cannot provide support due to serious and proven health reasons.

Your family members must:

  • obtain an entry visa; and
  • apply for a residence permit upon entry into Italy.

More information on family reunification

Where and how to apply

Authorisation for family reunification

You must apply for an authorisation for family reunification online (in Italian).


Once the authorisation for family reunification has been granted, your family member(s) must apply for an entry visa at the competent consulate or embassySearch for available translations of the preceding link, which verifies the family relationship.

Residence permit

Your family members must submit an application for a residence permit to the One-Stop-Shop for ImmigrationSearch for available translations of the preceding link in the “Prefettura” of the competent province within eight days of arriving in Italy.

As a general rule, visas to enter the Italian territory (excluding Uniform Schengen Visas) cost €116. As for residence permits, their cost is €40 for stays between 3 and 12 months; €50 for stays between 12 and 24 months; and €100 for long-term residence permits, highly-qualified workers and intra-corporate transferees. In addition, administrative costs amount to €30 for the sending of the postal kit; €16 for the tax stamp; and €30.46 for issuance costs.

Documents required

You must show adequate income and accommodation. More information available here (in Italian).

The One-Stop-Shop for ImmigrationSearch for available translations of the preceding link will consider the actual family ties, your length of stay in Italy and links with the country of origin.

Your family members will need to present their passport and travel documents when applying for a residence permit.

Duration of validity of permits

Your residence permit for family reunification will have the same duration of validity as the residence permit held by the sponsor to whom the family member is reunited.

Conditions for renewal

Renewal is granted provided you meet the requirements necessary for entering the territory.


Decisions related to residence permits can be challenged before the Civil Tribunal.

Further informationMore on family reunification

Access to employment

The residence permit for family reunification purposes allows access to employment.

Change of employment


Access to education

The residence permit for family reunification purposes allows access to education and training.

Change of status

Holders of a family reunification residence permit may convert their status to long-term residence (see section on long-term residence below). In cases in which the sponsor deceases or in cases of divorce or legal separation, the residence permit may be converted to one for subordinated work, self-employed work or study.

Long-term residence

Your family members may apply for long-term residence status after five years of continuous and legal residence. They must prove sufficient financial resources, accommodation and must not constitute a threat to public order and security. They must show the following documents:

  • copies of passport and tax declaration or declaration of income;
  • a criminal record;
  • a certified identification certificate and a certificate of adequate accommodation where a permit is simultaneously granted to a family member.

More on long-term residence (in Italian).

No information available