Italy – Employed worker

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to work as an employed worker in Italy? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To work in Italy as an employed worker, you must obtain:

  • a visa and an authorisation for employed work before you enter Italy;
  • a residence permit within eight days of entering Italy.

Italy operates a quota-system which is fixed annually. Quotas do not apply to certain categories of workers.

More on residence permits for workers and residence permits beyond quotas (in Italian). See the English version here

Where and how to apply

Authorisation to work

Your employer must apply for an authorisation to work at the One-Stop-Shops for ImmigrationSearch for available translations of the preceding link in the Prefettura of the province where the job will take place.

An authorisation to work will be granted only if you come within the annual quota for non-EU workers.

The One-Stop-Shop will electronically inform the consulate or the embassySearch for available translations of the preceding link that an authorisation to work has been granted.


The embassy or consulate in your country of origin or residenceSearch for available translations of the preceding link will produce a visa which you have six months to collect and use to enter Italy. This period of time is calculated starting from the date on which the authorisation to work is released. The authorisation to work is necessary to obtain the entry visa.

Residence permit

Within eight days of arrival in Italy, you must apply for a residence permit at the One-Stop-Shop for ImmigrationSearch for available translations of the preceding link in the Prefettura of the province where you will work.

As a general rule, visas to enter the Italian territory (excluding Uniform Schengen Visas) cost €116. As for residence permits, their cost is €40 for stays between 3 and 12 months; €50 for stays between 12 and 24 months; and €100 for long-term residence permits, highly-qualified workers and intra-corporate transferees. In addition, administrative costs amount to €30 for the sending of the postal kit; €16 for the tax stamp; and €30.46 for issuance costs.

Documents required

When applying for an authorisation to work, your future employer must submit documents regarding:

  • your future housing;
  • the proposed residence contract (in Italian);
  • the financial cover of your return journey; and
  • every possible variation regarding your future employment.

You must sign a residence contract (in Italian) with your employer, and present a passport and travel documents.

Duration of validity of permits

Your work authorisation is related to your contract of work-related residence and will last for a corresponding period of time:

  • time-limited contracts of employment are limited to one year;
  • if you have an unlimited contract the permit is issued for two years.

The duration of your residence permits will depend on your visa or work authorisation.

Conditions for renewal

Renewal is granted provided you meet the requirements necessary for entering the territory. Requests for renewal must be presented at least 60 days before expiration of the residence permit.


Decisions related to visas and residence permit can be challenged before the Regional Administrative Tribunal within 60 days of notification.

Further information

Ministry of Interior – Entry of foreign nationals into ItalySearch for available translations of the preceding link

Italian National Police – non-EU citizens


Change of employment

If you have a residence permit for salaried employment but lose your job or resign, you may be put on the employment placement lists for the remaining period of validity of your residence permit or in any event, for a period of no more than twelve months.

If you lose your job at the end of your permit you can ask for a renewal, for a period of no more than twelve months.


Unemployment benefits are granted to workers who have involuntarily lost their job, provided they meet the criteria set by law. Non-EU workers with a seasonal work residence permit are not eligible to the benefit.

Change of status

If you have a residence permit for employment you can engage in self-employed activities if you have the required qualifications and fulfil the necessary legal requirements.

Your change of status will be registered when your original residence permit expires.

Family members

Family reunification is allowed provided the person residing in the Italian territory holds a residence permit of at least one year and meets the legal requirements as to incomes and accommodation.

Long-term residence

An EC long-term residence status is granted after five years of continuous and legal residence.

You must prove sufficient financial resources, accommodation and you must not constitute a threat to public order and security.

You must present:

  • copies of passport and tax declaration or declaration of income;
  • a criminal record;
  • a certified identification certificate and a certificate of adequate accommodation where a permit is simultaneously granted to minor children.
  • the following levels of income:
    • if you have no family you must show that your income is equal to or higher than that of the annual social security level.
    • if you have a family composed of one or more members you must show an income equal to or higher than the annual social security level increased by half for each family member.
  • if you have two or more children aged less than fourteen, you must show an income equal to or higher than the double of the annual social security level.

More on long-term residence (in Italian).



No information available