Greece – Student

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Greece? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfill and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To work in Spain as an employed worker, you must obtain:

  • a work and residence permit; and
  • a work and residence visa.

The national employment situation will be taken into account when granting the initial residence and work permit. At the same time, several exceptions are provided.

Work permits will be granted if the job falls within the activities listed in the Shortage Occupations List or if the labour market test is passed

Where and how to apply


You must obtain a visa for research activity at the embassy or consulate in your country of originSearch for available translations of the preceding link.

Hosting agreement

Before you apply for a visa you must have signed a hosting agreement with a research organization where you undertake to complete the research project and where the organization undertakes to host you to that effect.
However, it is vital that the host research organization is recognized and approved by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of the Ministry of Education, Research and Religion. The host research institution is accountable for the researchers invited to work in the country, their residence permit supporting documents, their social insurance. The General Secretariat for Research and Technology is responsible for keeping track of research institutions status and notifying respectively the Ministry for Migration Policy and the Decentralized Administrations.

Hosting agreements are governed by specific provisions of the law.

Duration of validity of permitsThe duration of the residence permit shall be the same as that of the hosting agreement. If the hosting agreement is extended, the residence permit shall be renewed for the equivalent time period.
AppealsAppeals against reasoned decisions may be lodged to the administrative court, as well as to the administrative authority that originally issued the decision.
Further informationN/A



Non-EU citizens legally residing in the country enjoy equal treatment in the following sectors:

  • recognition of professional qualifications such as degrees and certificates, according to national procedures;
  • Working conditions, including remuneration and redundancy provisions;
  • Social security;
  • Tax concessions;
  • Access to goods and services and their provision to the public.
Change of statusYou cannot change status to another category of residence permit.
TeachingYou may be allowed to teach, in accordance with national legislation.
Family reunificationMembers of the researcher’s family can also apply for a residence permit of the same duration as their sponsor’s.

No information available