Greece – Researcher

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Greece? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfill and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

In order to study in Greece, you should:

  • have been accepted as a student at a higher education institution;
  • attend a specific course of study;
  • have sufficient funds for your sustenance;
  • have paid enrolment fees, where necessary.
Where and how to apply


Once you have been accepted in a higher educational institution in Greece you can apply for a visa for studies at the embassy or consulate in your country of originSearch for available translations of the preceding link.

Residence permit for studies are of one year duration and renewable for one year each time. If the duration of studies is shorter than one year, the residence permit is issued for this period. In case the applicant wishes to apply for a multi-annual residence permit, equal to the maximum duration of studies, then additional supporting documents should be submitted, that is, a certificate by the education institution on the total duration of studies provided for.

Applicants should pay a fee of € 150 for each year they apply.

Documents required

The application should be accompanied by:

  • a certification of acceptance by a Greek Education Institution for a specific course;
  • a certification that the applicant has the income to cover living expenses for the duration of studies;
  • receipt for payment of enrolment fees, where applicable.

Duration of validity of permits

Residence permits for studies are valid for one year and are renewable. Applicants may apply for a residence permit of as many years as their course of study. However, a multi-annual permit holder should submit every two years an enrolment certificate and participation in the examination certificate, as well as an updated transcript to the Decentralized Administration. In case the permit holder fails to do so, the permit is withdrawn and the student should immediately leave the country.

The duration of the residence permit cannot exceed the duration of the course of study increased by four terms or by half in case of postgraduate or doctoral students. Another year is added to this for the language learning year, provided that this is prerequisite by the Higher Education Institution.
AppealsAppeals against reasoned decisions may be lodged to the administrative court, as well as to the administrative authority that originally issued the decision.
Further informationN/A


Change of statusYou cannot change status to residence permit for other scope.
Employment during studiesYou can work part-time.
Employment after studiesAfter completion of your studies, you must return to your home country and submit a fresh application from there.



No information available