Finland – Highly-qualified worker

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to work as a highly-skilled employee in Finland? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

Highly-qualified workers can apply for a residence permit for specialists or for an EU Blue Card depending on the work tasks and conditions.

Where and how to apply
(including information on fees)

Submit your application in the e-service Enter Finland. After you have submitted your application, you have to visit the Finnish diplomatic mission or consulate in your country of origin/residence to prove your identity and have your fingerprints taken. A paper application is submitted to the Finnish diplomatic mission or consulate in your country of origin/residence.

The Finnish Immigration Service will reject or grant the residence permit, taking into consideration:

  • an evaluation of the requirements of the work on the basis of a work contract;
  • whether your means of support are secure;
  • other grounds for rejection (a threat to public policy, public security, public health and Finland’s international relations).

Processing fee (EUR): online 350, paper application 550.

Documents required

General attachments:

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop
  • Color copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments:

  • Certificate concerning the principal terms and conditions of employment; or
  • Consultancy agreement
  • Certificate of fringe benefits from the employer/client
  • Commission agreement with a Finnish client (must be included if the employer is a third-country company that has no office in Finland)
  • Job description
  • Certificate of a higher education degree
Further requirements If the duration of your stay will exceed one year, you should register on arrival at the Local Register Office in the municipality where you will reside.
Duration of validity of permits

A first fixed-term permit for a specialist is issued for two years and a renewed fixed term permit is issued for maximum of four years.

The residence permit will be withdrawn for the following reasons:

  • fraud;
  • the reasons for granting the permit cease to exist;
  • you leave Finland permanently or remain in another country for an uninterrupted period of two years and do not apply to the Immigration Service not to withdraw your permit.
Conditions for renewalApply for an extended permit before your residence permit expires. If you still meet the same requirements you met when your previous residence permit was granted to you, the Finnish Immigration Service will grant you an extended permit. Alternatively, you can apply for an extended permit on new grounds. Remember that you need to meet the requirements for the residence permit you apply for.

It is possible to appeal negative decisions made by the Finnish Immigration Service before an Administrative Court 30 days following the notification. The appeal procedures are indicated in the decision.

A rejection from the Administrative Court can be appealed as a last resort to the Supreme Administrative Court. You will need to apply for leave to appeal.

Change of employment

Your residence permit for specialist is granted for a particular professional sector and you can change jobs within this sector.

In exceptional cases, your permit may be limited to a particular employer and you will need to make new application to change employer.

UnemploymentIf your employment relationship ends, you must leave Finland when your right to reside expires at the latest. If your residence permit is still valid, you may also change jobs within the limits set by your residence permit.
Change of status
If the grounds for your residence change and you meet the necessary conditions, you should apply for a new residence permit (for example employment or family ties).
Family members

You may apply to reunite in Finland with your spouse (and same sex registered partner) and your unmarried minor children.

Partners who have been living continuously in a marriage-like relationship within the same household for at least two years also benefit from family reunification. The two year period is not required if the relationship has resulted in any children.

The residence permit granted to your family member is valid for the same duration as your residence permit. It grants full access to employment and education.

Long-term residence

After four years of continuous residence (permit A), you can apply for a permanent residence permit P if you still meet the requirements for a continuous residence permit. You must have spent at least half of the validity period of your permit in Finland and your permit must still be valid at the time you submit your application.

After five years of continuous and legal residence, you may obtain a long-term resident EC residence permit.

No information available at the moment.