Finland – Family member

Are you a non-EU citizen living in Finland and would you like to bring your non-EU family members to live with you there? You can find information below on the conditions, procedures and rights your family members can enjoy during their stay.

If you are coming to Finland to do seasonal work you must apply for the appropriate permit.

Seasonal work refers to work in agriculture and tourism that is done at certain times of the year. The maximum length of seasonal work is nine months.

The branches of agriculture where seasonal work can be done: crop and animal production and related service activities, excluding hunting and related service activities, and forest cultivation and other forestry activities.

The branches of tourism where seasonal work can be done: accommodation and food service activities, ski resorts, tour operator activities, other reservation service and related activities, such as tour guide services, activities of amusement parks and theme parks, support activities to performing arts, coastal passenger water transport and inland passenger water transport.

To be counted as seasonal work, the work must be based on a direct employment contract between the seasonal worker and the employer that is in Finland.

Where to apply
(including information on fees)

Submit your application in the e-service Enter Finland. After you have submitted your application, you have to visit the Finnish diplomatic mission or consulate in your country of origin/residence to prove your identity and have your fingerprints taken. A paper application is submitted to the Finnish diplomatic mission or consulate in your country of origin/residence.

An application on behalf of an underage child is filled in and submitted by the child’s guardian. The child must be present, however, when the identity is proved or the paper application is submitted.

Processing fee (EUR): online 420 (minor 220), paper application 470 (minor 250).

Documents required

Documentation establishing family ties must be presented. In the absence of sufficient evidence, the family link may be proved by a DNA test, paid for by the State. You and your family members may be interviewed either in writing or orally by the Finnish Immigration Service or Finnish embassy or consulate in order to establish the family ties.

Documents required depend on your family tiesSearch for available translations of the preceding link.

Further requirementsUpon arrival in Finland, your family member must register at the Local Register Office the municipality where he/she will be resident.
Duration of validity of permits

The residence permit granted to the family member will be valid for one year or the same duration as sponsor’s residence permit if it is valid for less than one year.

The residence permit will be withdrawn in the following circumstances:

  • fraud;
  • the reasons for it being granted cease to exists;
  • the holder leaves Finland permanently;
  • the holder remains in another country for an uninterrupted period of two years and does not apply to the Immigration Service not to have it withdrawn.
Conditions for renewalApply for an extended permit before your residence permit expires. If you still meet the same requirements you met when your previous residence permit was granted to you, the Finnish Immigration Service will grant you an extended permit. Alternatively, you can apply for an extended permit on new grounds. Remember that you need to meet the requirements for the residence permit you apply for.

It is possible to appeal negative decisions made by the Finnish Immigration Service before an Administrative Court 30 days following the notification. The appeal procedures are indicated in the decision.

A rejection from the Administrative Court can be appealed as a last resort to the Supreme Administrative Court. You will need to apply for leave to appeal.

Access to employmentIf you have been granted a residence permit on the basis of family ties, your right to work in Finland is not limited in any way.
Change of employmentThere are no limitations.
Access to educationIf you have been granted a residence permit on the basis of family ties, you have unlimited access to education.
Change of statusIf the grounds for your residence change and you meet the necessary conditions, you should apply for a new residence permit.
Long-term residence

After four years of continuous residence (permit A), you can apply for a permanent residence permit P if you still meet the requirements for a continuous residence permit. You must have spent at least half of the validity period of your permit in Finland and your permit must still be valid at the time you submit your application.

After five years of continuous and legal residence, you may obtain a long-term resident EC residence permit.

No information available at the moment.