Estonia – Seasonal worker

You work for a company established outside the European Union (EU) and you are going to be transferred to a branch in the Czech Republic? You can find information below on the conditions, procedures, rights and mobility you can enjoy during your stay.
To carry out seasonal work you should be registered for short-term employment and obtain a short-term or long-term (D) visa.

Where and how to apply

If you are a seasonal worker you will fall under the category of ‘short-term employment’ in Estonia. Your employer needs to submit the registration for the short-term employment for seasonal work to the Police and Border Guard. 

You may engage in short-term employment in Estonia as seasonal worker for a maximum of 270 days within 365 consecutive days.

You should apply for a visa at the Estonian embassy or consulate in your country of origin or residence, unless you are exempt from the visa requirement. Also, long-term visa can be applied directly at the Police and Border Guard services if you have legal ground to arrive to Estonia.

For short-term employment you must comply with the following conditions:

  • Your permanent or principal place of residence must be in a third country.
  • You will start the work in the area of activity dependent upon season listed by the Government of Estonia.
  • You have to have a short-term employment contract with the employer before the submission of the application for registration of short-term employment or relevant job offer.
  • Your employment must be registered by the employer with the Police and Border Guard Board before the employment commences. A written confirmation will be issued to confirm the registration for short-term employment.
  • As a general rule your salary must ensure your subsistence.
  • You have to comply with the requisite qualifications, training, sate of health, work experience and the necessary professional skills and knowledge to assume the position.
  • Your accommodation in Estonia has to be ensured in an accommodation which complies with the relevant requirements.
  • The employer has to be registered in Estonia.

Further information


More on getting a long-stay visa for seasonal work

More on short-term employment

More on applying for a short-term visa

Registration of the short-term employment as a seasonal worker cannot be extended if the maximum period is reached. If you wish to stay and work in Estonia, you have to apply for a residence permit.

No information available at the moment.