Austria – Self-employed worker

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to work as a self-employed person in Austria? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To carry out seasonal employment in Austria, you must obtain a work permit and, if necessary, a visa.

The Austrian system of work permits for seasonal workers is governed by quotas, which are fixed annually.

There are special quotas for seasonal workers in the tourism and agricultural sectors and for harvesters.

For information on admission procedures for highly-skilled self-employed workers, please visit the section on highly-skilled workers in Austria.

Where and how to apply

You must, in general, apply for your residence title and visa in your home country before entering Austria. You should submit your application to the competent representation authority in your country and wait for the decision.

In specific cases, you can apply in Austria after legal entry and during your legal stay (e.g. if you do not need a visa to enter Austria during your visa free stay).

In order to prolong your residence title or change its purpose in time, you must make an in-country application. Such applications are submitted to the regional administrative authority or magistrate (e.g. in Vienna) before expiry of the most recent residence title. You may be able to wait for the decision while in Austria.

All applications must be submitted in person.

 Documents required
 Your documents must prove that you meet the specific and general conditions for the residence title.
Further requirementsN/A
Duration of validity of permitsPermits are basically granted for one year, the Red White Red Card is granted for two years.

Applications submitted from outside Austria can be refused by the competent Austrian representation authority abroad for formal reasons.

You can appeal against decisions of the representation authority at the Federal Administrative Court.

Appeals against decisions of the regional administrative authority or magistrate can be filed at the Provincial Administrative Court.

Decisions of the regional Public Employment Service can be appealed before the Federal Administrative Court.

Further appeals can be filed at the Administrative High Court, or the Constitutional Court if the decision was based on unlawful grounds or violated constitutional rights.

Further information

More on self-employment in Austria

More on permits for highly-qualified workers

More on residence permits for non-EU citizens


Change of employment


Change of status

Changing the status/residence title may be possible if you meet the requirements of the new residence title.

Long-term residence

To obtain a long-term residence title you must prove settlement in Austria for the past five years and must fulfil Module 2 of the Integration Agreement.


No information available at the moment.