Austria – Seasonal worker

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out seasonal work in Austria? You can find information below on the conditions, procedures and rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To carry out seasonal employment in Austria, you must obtain a work permit and, if necessary, a visa.

The Austrian system of work permits for seasonal workers is governed by quotas, which are fixed annually.

There are special quotas for seasonal workers in the tourism and agricultural sectors and for harvesters.

Where and how to apply

Your employer has to apply for a work permit at the competent authority of the Austrian Public Employment Service (Arbeitsmarktservice – AMS).

Work permits are granted in accordance with quotas fixed annually by the Austrian Federal Government.

Once the work permit has been issued, you have to submit your visa application at the competent Austrian embassy or consulate abroad.

In case your existing work permit is renewed or you receive another work permit, you can apply for an extension of the visa at the competent Provincial Police Directorate (Landespolizeidirektion – LPD).

Documents required

The work permit will be granted if:

  • the AMS labour market test (Arbeitsmarktprüfung) shows that there is no Austrian worker or no non-Austrian worker (already integrated in the Austrian labour market) registered with the AMS who can be placed for the job;
  • a quota slot is available;
  • your employer adheres to applicable wage and working conditions; and
  • your employer demonstrates the locally customary accommodation is available for you for the duration of your seasonal employment.

A visa will be granted if:

  • general visa requirements are fulfilled and
  • a valid work permit has been issued by the AMS.

Duration of validity of permits

Work permits are valid for up to six months. Within a period of twelve months, seasonal workers may be employed under quota permits for a maximum period of nine months.

Depending on the duration of the work permit, a C or D visa will be issued.

Further requirements



Appeals against decisions of the AMS and visa authorities can be filed at the Federal Administrative Court.

Further information

More on seasonal work in Austria

Change of employment

Long-term residence

Seasonal workers cannot obtain permanent residence status.

No information available at the moment.