Spain – Researcher

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Spain? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.
Non-EU nationals seeking entry to Spain or those who hold a residence or stay permit and wish to carry out research, development and innovation at public or private undertakings must have obtained the relevant visa or a residence permit for research, which will be valid throughout Spain.

To see general information click here

  • This status enables the holder to reside , carry out the research and work in Spain;
  • the holder can bring his/her husband/wife, children under 18 years old and children over 18 and ascendants if they are financially dependent on the holder;
  • quick procedure: only 20 days to finish the administrative process.


If you have a permit/visa for research in an EU country, you may conduct research and teach in Spain if you fulfil certain requirements. If the duration of your stay in Spain is shorter than 180 days in a 360-day period, you are subject to short-term mobility rules. If the duration of your stay in Spain is longer than 180 days, you are subject to the rules governing long-term mobility.

Short-term mobility Procedure

Spain applies a notification procedure: the notification must be done by the research

entities established in other EU countries

to the Unidad de Grandes Empresas y Colectivos Estratégicos (Large Business and Strategic Groups Unit), as it is stated in article 72.5 of Law 14/2013.

Notifications can be done at two different moments:

  • either with the first application to do research in a EU country,
  • or, once the first application accepted, as soon as the researcher knows about the mobility project.

Documents required

  • A valid travel document;
  • the authorisation issued by the first EU country;
  • a hosting agreement or contract signed in the first EU country, specifying its duration and estimated dates for the mobility period;
  • proof of health insurance and enough economic resources for him/her and his/her family, as stated in article 62.3 of Law 14/2013.

Applicable fee

  • 15,76 €

Family members


  • Family members, who wish to accompany the researcher, can apply at the same time as the researcher, or later.
  • They have to fulfil the general requirements described in article 62 of the Law 14/2013.

Long-term mobility

All requirements and procedures are the same as for short-term mobility. The law does not make a difference between them.