Czech Republic – Researcher

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in the Czech Republic? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To come to the Czech Republic as a researcher, you must have concluded a hosting agreement with an accredited institution for the purpose of conducting research activities.

You must obtain a long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research.

Where to apply

 You must apply for a long-term residence permit at the embassy or consulate in your country of origin.
Documents requiredYou must provide:
  • travel document;
  • the hosting agreement concluded with the research institution;
  • a written statement from the hosting institution stating that it will cover the return costs or the costs after the expiry of your residence permit;
  • proof of no criminal history and fulfill actual health measures set out by Ministry of Health – upon request.
Duration of validity of permitsLong-term residence permits for the purpose of scientific research are granted for a maximum period of two years, renewable.
Further requirements

To obtain a visa for the purpose of collecting a long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research, you must show proof of travel medical insurance.

When first arriving, you must within 3 working days upon arrival appear in person at the Ministry of the Interior office where you shall complete your duties as to biometric data.

You are obliged to collect the long-residence permit within the time limit set by the Ministry of the Interior, however, at latest 60 days after the acquisition of your biometric data.

Non – compliance with those duties results in obligation of Ministry of Interior to terminate the procedure (reject the application)

AppealsAn appeal concerning a long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research shall be brought first to a special Commission of the Ministry of the Interior. If this fails, you can bring a further appeal to an administrative court.

Change of status

 You can change status if conditions are met. An in-country application must be submitted to the relevant Ministry of the Interior office.
Permanent residence statusA permanent residence status may be granted after five years of continuous temporary residence. You must provide:

Applications for permanent residence permits shall  be filed at the relevant offices of the Ministry of the Interior

More on permanent residence permits

Long-term residence status

A status of the EU long-term resident may be granted after five years of continuous residence in the Czech Republic, provided that you have not seriously disturbed public order or threatened public security of the Czech Republic or any other EU country.

Sufficient financial resources must be proven.

This status is generally granted simultaneously with a permanent residence permit, but may be granted at a later stage as well.

Applications for a status of a long-term resident shall be filed at the relevant offices of the Ministry of the Interior.

More on this status and the required documents