Austria – Volunteer

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to be a volunteer in Austria? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To obtain a residence title, you must meet the specific conditions of the title and prove that you meet the general conditions for residence titles in Austria, in particular:

  • full medical insurance;
  • adequate means of subsistence.

If you want to come to Austria as a volunteer, you will need a temporary residence settlement permit – volunteer (Aufenthaltsbewilligung– Freiwilige).

If you apply for a temporary residence permit – volunteer you must have an agreement with the entity/organisation responsible for the voluntary service.

Where and how to apply

Volunteers may apply for a residence permit in their home country at the competent representation authority before entering Austria or in Austria after legal entry and during their legal stay.

In order to prolong your residence title or change its purpose in time, you must make an in-country application. Such applications are submitted to the regional administrative authority or magistrate (e.g. in Vienna) before expiry of the most recent residence title. You may be able to wait for the decision while in Austria.

All applications must be submitted in person.

You will be issued the visa in your country of residence before you enter Austria. Upon arrival in Austria, you can collect the residence title at the settlement and residence authority, within the validity period of your visa.

Documents required

Your documents must prove that you meet the specific and general conditions for the residence title.

Duration of validity of permits

A temporary residence permit for volunteers is issued for a maximum period of one year.


Applications submitted from outside Austria can be refused by the competent Austrian representation authority abroad for formal reasons.

Appeals against decisions of the regional administrative authority or magistrate can be filed at the Provincial Administrative Court.

Further appeals can be filed at the Administrative High Court, or the Constitutional Court if the decision was based on unlawful grounds or violated constitutional rights.

Further information

Migration to Austria

Change of status

Changing the status/the residence title may be possible if you meet the requirements of the new residence title.

Family members

Family reunification for a volunteer is not provided for.

Long-term residence

To obtain a long-term residence title you must prove settlement in Austria for the past five years and must fulfil Module 2 of the Integration Agreement. Additionally you must prove that you meet the specific and general conditions for the residence title. The stay as a volunteer does not constitute settlement and is therefore not counted towards the five-year period. 

No information available at the moment.